사회

• HOME
  • HYP기자단
  • 사회

Thrifting As a Sustainable Fashion: Worn by All Shoppers

페이지 정보

작성자 조현영기자 작성일22-07-31 23:37 댓글0건

본문

Fast fashion can be defined as “ the term used to describe clothing designs that move quickly from stores to take advantage of trends”. It uses 24.5 trillion gallons of water each year. Meanwhile, more than 2 billion people worldwide experience scarcity. (Alex Crumbie) That’s around 34% of the world's population. Fast fashion makes trendy clothes for young customers. Young customers are easily influenced by social media as well as the people around them. The brands take advantage of this to make clothing which eventually leads to companies creating around 5000 new styles per week. 

Because fast fashion produces clothes that are made and disposable, the industry is a huge cause of pollution. Factories producing these clothes use an incredible amount of water, and the wastewater from production goes into the ocean. They use the water for a variety of things including dyes, and this water gets dumped into rivers, according to Phoebe Young. This water harms aquatic and human life.

So what would be the ultimate solution to fast fashion? Of course, there are tax reductions for fashion companies that are zero waste, and many other solutions regarding government policies, etc. However, those solutions take a long time to ratify. This is where thrifting can play a part. 

Thrifting has been a growing trend among people of all ages. Different people have their reasons for choosing thrifting as an alternative to fast fashion. By purchasing second-hand clothing or home goods, people can save money and find unique pieces. Nevertheless, there are still some negative views toward thrifting among older generations in Korea. As one 40-year-old woman states “I’ve never been a huge fan of thrifting. It makes me uncomfortable knowing that I’m buying clothes that other people have worn"

However, because of this new pop-up store event that was unbolted this month at a department store, the outlook on thrifting has changed for many people. The same 40-year-old woman stated that "After visiting the thrift store that opened in the department store, I feel like my perspective towards thrifting has shifted. I believe that this experience had made me believe that thrifting has a lot of benefits." This is the perk of opening up a thrift store inside a department store. Many people like the person I interviewed, would have a better mindset toward thrifting. 

I, as a passionate environment lover, hope that more people would consider thrifting instead of buying new clothes every time. I believe that this opportunity has truly opened up to the future possibilities of thrifting. 

패스트패션은 "유행을 활용하기 위해 가게에서 빠르게 이동하는 의류 디자인을 설명하는 데 사용되는 용어"라 정의할 수 있다. 페스트 패션은 매년 24.5조 갤런의 물을 사용한다. 한편, 전 세계 20억 명 이상의 사람들이 물에 관한 희소성을 경험한다. 그것은 세계 인구의 약 34%이다. 패스트패션은 젊은 고객들에게 유행하는 옷을 만들어 준다. 젊은 고객들은 주변 사람들뿐만 아니라 소셜 미디어의 영향을 쉽게 받는다. 그렇게 페스트 패션 브랜드들은 이것을 이용하여 옷을 만들고 결국 많은 회사들에게 일주일에 약 5000개의 새로운 스타일을 창조하게 끔 이끈다.

패스트패션은 만들어진 후 일회용으로만 사용할 수 있는 옷을 생산하기 때문에, 그 산업이 오염의 큰 원인이 된다. 이런 옷을 생산하는 공장들은 엄청난 양의 물을 사용하고, 생산에서 나오는 폐수는 바다로 보낸다. Phoebe Young에따르면, 그들은 염료를 포함한 다양한 용도로 물을 사용하고, 이 물을 강에 버린다. 이 물은 수생과 인간의 삶에 해를 끼치게 된다.

그렇다면 패스트패션에 대한 궁극적인 해결책은 무엇일까? 물론, 제로 웨이스트인 패션 회사들에 대한 세금 감면, 정부 정책 등과 관련된 많은 해결책들이 있다. 그러나, 그러한 해결책들은 비준하는 데 오랜 시간이 걸린다. 이러한 이유 때문에 중고 옷 구입하기가 한몫을 할 수 있는 것이다.

요즘 중고상품 구매가 많은 사람들의 관심을 사로잡았다.이러한 이유로 중고 거래 사이트가 급성장하고 있다. 

하지만 책과 가전제품 가구 등은 많이 사고 있음에도 불구하고 중고 옷 시장은 미국이나 다른 선진국에 비하여 활발히 진행되고 있지 않다. 

그렇지만, 중고 옷을 백화점에서 구입할 수 있게 되어 백화점 고객들 관심이 높아졌다. 서울 백화점에서 중고 옷을 판매하며 높은 실적을 올리자 7월 28일부터 31까지 4일간 분당의 백화점에서 중고 옷 팝업 스토어를 오픈했다. 직접 입어보고 구매할 수 있어 소비자들에게 더 좋은 반응을 보였다. 강남구에 가주하고 있는 40대 A 씨 주부의 경우 “중고 옷에 대해 그동안 좋지 않게 생각해왔는데 백화점에서 판매하니 관심을 갖고 보게 되었다.”라고 말했다.

젊은 층을 중심으로 패스트패션에 대한 경각심이 높아지고, 그에 발맞추어 전 세대에서 질 좋은 중고 옷을 저렴하게 구매할 수 있는 이런 판로가 더 확대되길 바란다.

a31b3b2805766e61d034b0695e1457d3_1659277
[picture of the thrifting pop up store inside

a department store]

조현영 기자 (iamerincho@gmail.com)

추천 1

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.